Tuesday, April 6, 2010

white chicken chili

My friend, Liz, made this terrific recipe for our book club one night and I just loved it! This chili is so easy to make and just delicious.

Ingredients:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped (or jarred minced garlic if you're feeling lazy)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 15 oz cans of white kidney beans (cannellini beans)
1 7-0z can of diced green chilies
1 can of yellow corn
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup whipping cream

Garnishes:

Cilantro
Cheddar Cheese

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large stock pot of dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, cumin, oregano, anise sees, and dried red pepper. Saute for 5 minutes then push the onions to the outer edges of the pot. Season the chopped chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pot. Saute for about 5 minutes.

Drain 2 of the cans of beans and add to the pot. Add the other can without draining. Add the chicken broth and cream. Simmer until chicken is cooked through-about 10 minutes. Then add the chilies and corn and let simmer on low for another 5-10 minutes.


I served the chili with grilled cheese sandwiches. I spread Sun Dried Tomato Pesto on the bread and used provolone cheese to dress them up!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this recipe! My friend and I just made it and it's absolutely delicious. Although, I forgot to buy Anise seeds and left them out. It still turned out great! =)

    ReplyDelete