So glad to be done with the snow here in Nashville (I hope). After sitting in nasty traffic for 2 and a half hours to get home from work (normally a 15 minute commute), I was really craving something rich and warm for dinner. Some serious comfort food. Beef stroganoff came to mind. I found a few recipes, but didn't really like any of them, so I just made one up from a compilation of different recipes I came across.
Ingredients:
2 tsp diced garlic
1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
1 package of beef stew meat (1-1.5 pound)
1 package of white mushrooms (sliced)
1.5 cups of Beef/Chicken Stock
1 packet brown gravy mix, 1 tbsp flour mix with a small amount of warm water (about 1/3 cup)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Worchester sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/4 cup light sour cream
Directions:
In a dutch oven, coat the bottom of the pan with EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Saute the garlic and onion until warm and add the mushrooms and beef stew meat. Let the meat brown and then stir and brown the other side of the meat. Then add 1.5 cups of beef stock (I didn't have beef, so I used chicken and that worked just fine). In a small bowl, mix a packet of brown gravy mix with 1/3 cup water and 1 tbsp of flour to thicken the sauce. Pour the mixture into the pan with the meat. Add all the other ingredients, except for the sour cream.
Cover the dutch oven and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour (to really let the meat get really tender). When you remove it from the oven, stir in the sour cream and serve over egg noodles!
No comments:
Post a Comment